Call for applications – Carer at Jesuit Infirmary, Naxxar
Carer at the Jesuit Infirmary at Naxxar – Job Description and requirements
The employee shall assist the resident nurse in caring for the elderly Jesuits residing at the Jesuit Infirmary at Naxxar. The employee shall also perform domestic duties to keep the Infirmary spaces clean.
The principal roles and responsibilities of the Employee shall be as follows:
Assistance to residents:
- Assists residents in meeting their hygienic needs.
- Assists residents with getting up in the morning, washing/bathing (washing of hair) and dressing. Assisting in undressing and getting to bed in the evening.
- Distributes meals to residents according to their stated preference.
- The personnel in charge may delegate the assistant care worker to assist residents to feed them when unable to do so, on their own.
- Assists residents in sustaining mobility.
- Assists in the moving and handling of bed bound residents to preserve state of well-being.
- Assists in transfer procedure of residents as from bed to char or from bed to stretcher.
- Assists residents to meet their elimination needs when needed.
- Transfers residents, as delegated, on wheelchair, stretcher etc. both within and outside the respective area of work.
- Helps residents in boarding and alighting from coaches/ambulances and other vehicles.
- Delivers bedpans, urinals and other containers for voiding/elimination needs when required by residents.
- Disposes of residents ‘organic waste’, after the making the necessary observations and recordings.
- Takes action with regards to actual and potential health and safety hazards, seeking appropriate advice where required.
- Reports immediately to superiors any problems encountered while providing any care to residents.
- To be aware of the appropriate action to take in an emergency and assists the interdisciplinary team during an emergency.
- Maintains resident safety through: (a) using good hygiene techniques, particularly hand hygiene to prevent cross infection, (b) observing altered mental state residents where appropriate, (c) assisting in providing the resident with a safe environment by removing, for example, loose carpets, unstable stools, and safely utilizing all available equipment etc.
- Helps to make all residents comfortable.
- Visit residents in their rooms regularly both during the day and during the night.
- Accompany residents to hospital and clinics for their appointment.
- Establishes a caring trustful relationship with the resident leading to an effective care/resident communication.
- Helps out in any other task assigned by the superior or his delegate related to care of residents
- Assists in collection of crockery, cutlery and other utensils following residents’ meals or servings.
- Cleans trolleys, beds, bedside lockers, bed tables and other apparatus/furniture in the residents’ rooms
- Cleans bedpans, urinals, containers for organic waste and other soiled receptacles.
- Sorts out and stores clean linen.
- Disposes of soiled linen in appropriate bags and wheels to disposal room in the respective areas.
- Putting soiled cloths and linen in the washing machine.
- Hanging clothes after washing and collecting them once dry.
- Assists in the making of residents’ beds.
- Does errands as necessary.
- To provide assistance in daily household chores includes the washing of the residents rooms and bathroom/toilet and any small corridors leading to the residents’ room.
- The job will be on a part time basis and shall comprise 24 hours per week on a shift roster basis.
- The day of work in the week and the time of day may vary from week to week but employee would be informed at least one week in advance of his or her time of duty.
Skills required for the job
- Basic reading and writing skills to enable the understanding of written instructions and to write a brief record of work performed (used for handover);
- Communication skills, in view of the need to interface to residents directly at times;
- Able to work well in a team and to sustain good relationships with fellow staff;
- A healthy working ethic including honesty, respect for colleagues and superiors, sense of responsibility and respect for deadlines and objectives.
- Cleaning skills to assist in domestic duties.
Experience required for the job
Previous experience of working with the elderly would be considered an asset.
Candidates who possess certificates in care of the elderly, especially if equivalent to MQR 3, would be given preference.
All interested applicants are kindly requested to download this application form and send it in either by email to email@example.com or by post to: The Jesuit Infirmary, 38 Marquis Scicluna Street, Naxxar NXR2069, Malta by 29th February 2020.